Saturday, October 18, 2008

Back on the horse


I can see that travelling is a little like riding a horse after not having ridden for a very long time. To start with, it's all very exciting. Just mounting, holding the reins and patting the horse's neck a great, and the first few steps are just like you remember they should be. But it doesn't take too long to realise that you're moving and stretching muscles that have been sleeping for years. You start to feel a little uncomfortable in the saddle, and all too soon, the discomfort is downright painful! As the ride continues though, your muscles start to relax, and before you know it, you're having as much fun as you know you should be - it's a wonderful way to travel.
When we arrived in Christchurch, despite Roland's job stress, I was very excited about being overseas again. Just wandering around the city and looking at brochures was great. But it only took a few day for my comfort zone to be pushed and stretched in ways it hasn't been moved in a long time. By about Day Four I'm thinking to myself, 'maybe this is too hard. Maybe this isn't going to be as much fun as I thought'. But then, as we kept moving, I relaxed into the rhythm once again, and now there isn't anything I'd rather be doing.


If you haven't been to New Zealand, I suggest you stop reading this, get onto Webjet and book some flights now! I haven't seen the Swiss Alps or the Canadian Rockies, but the mountains here are amazing. Everywhere you look, rugged, snow-capped mountains disappear into the clouds and the brilliant, turquoise lakes ripple in the cold wind.

From Christchurch we buses to Methven, then Lake Tekapo and now we're in Queenstown. We've been doing a lot of walking around, admiring the views and taking a lot of photos. The new camera is great but a digital SLR will definitely be our next purchase.

We went on a Lord of the Rings horse ride yesterday, which was great, but I'm having a little trouble walking normally today! Tomorrow we're going on an overnight cruise through Doubtful Sound. I've very, very excited.

Roland is also have a great time. Life has certainly improved since deciding on which job to take. He's looking forward to the new challenges working at the St Paul's year nine center will bring. So now we just need to find somewhere to live!

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

Hello Adkins!! Looks like you are having a very fun time - and if I didn't have stinkin' exams to do then I'd book straight away (and had saved up a little more...). Bell, do you have an email address that you are checking while you are away? I want to ask you about coming with me on a schoolies camp in Dec on the Gippsland lakes. Can you email me or something? lisabrown007@gmail.com - love to you both!! Lisa and Phil and Moses